Ohio State Fair Public Relations Internships
Paid, real-world experience
Deadline to apply: January 29, 2018
Prefer a printer-friendly PDF? Click here.
Additional internship opportunities: Social Media Internship
What you’ll do
Each year, the Ohio State Fair recruits college students for paid public relations internships, during which you can also receive college credit. Interns will be challenged to excel and will receive an invaluable amount of professional experience and generate a wealth of portfolio material … all while having fun!
As an Ohio State Fair intern, you’ll have the unique opportunity to:
- Preview the “real world” of public relations in an exciting setting
- Be treated as a professional communicator and assigned important projects such as writing news releases, contribute to social media content, creating brand journalism content, collaborating on the Fair’s media kit, organizing events and writing newsletters
- Complete important assignments in media relations, promotions, desktop publishing and project management
- Enhance your formal education with great on-the-job training
- Pitch stories, set up interviews and coordinate live broadcasts when working directly with media, one-on-one, during the Fair
- Serve as the key contact to radio and television stations regarding their promotions and remote broadcasts at the Fair
- Be a current college junior, senior or graduate majoring in public relations, communications or journalism
- Have experience writing new releases, organizing events, pitching stories and designing and writing newsletters
- Be detail-oriented, respectful of deadlines and conscientious
- Is self-motivated with the knowledge and drive to follow through. Work will be completed as a team as well as individually in a fast-paced, fun atmosphere.
- Desktop publishing experience (such as Adobe InDesign) is a plus.
When you’ll work
- Hours: Monday – Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm in May, June and July. You will be required to work shifts on Saturdays, July 14 and 21, 2018.
- Start date: TBD based on school schedules; no earlier than May 7. The entire internship cannot exceed 14 weeks.
- Extended hours during the Fair: During the 12 days of the Fair, July 25 – August 5, 2018, extended hours will be required (at least a 14-hour shift each day.) Interns cannot take time off during the Fair.
Apply by Monday, January 29, 2018
Send your résumé and your three best writing samples (such as press releases, newsletters, blog posts, magazine articles, etc.) to: Alicia Shoults, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ohio Expo Center, 717 E. 17th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43211.
The deadline for receipt is Monday, January 29, 2018. Interviews will be held in February/March.
Contact Alicia Shoults