Get Paid, Gain Real-World Experience, Earn Credit
Apply by January 7, 2022
Click here for a printer-friendly version.
What You’ll Do
Each year, the Ohio State Fair recruits college students for paid public relations internships, during which you can also receive college credit. Interns will be challenged to excel and will receive an invaluable amount of professional experience and generate a wealth of portfolio material … all while having fun! Ohio State Fair interns have the unique opportunity to:
- Preview the real world of public relations in an exciting setting.
- Be treated as a professional communicator and assigned important projects such as writing news releases, contribute to social media content, creating brand journalism content, collaborating on the Fair’s media kit, organizing events and writing newsletters.
- Pitch stories, set up interviews and coordinate live broadcasts when working directly with media, one-on-one, during the Fair.
- Serve as the key contact to radio and television stations regarding their promotions and remote broadcasts at the Fair.
- Complete important assignments in media relations, promotions, desktop publishing and project management.
- Enhance your formal education with great on-the-job training.
- Be a current college junior, senior or recent graduate studying public relations, communications or journalism.
- Have experience writing news releases, organizing events, pitching stories and designing and writing newsletters; desktop publishing or basic design experience (such as Adobe InDesign and Canva) is a plus.
- Be detail-oriented, respectful of deadlines and conscientious.
- Be self-motivated with the drive to follow through. Work will be completed as a team as well as individually in a fast-paced, fun atmosphere.
When You’ll Work
- Hours: Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. in May, June and July. You will be required to work shifts on Saturdays, July 16 and July 23, 2022.
- Dates of employment: Monday, May 9 – Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2022, (tentative based on school schedules). The entire internship cannot exceed 14 weeks. There is no work on state holidays: May 30, June 20 and July 4.
- Extended hours during the Fair: During the 12 days of the Fair, July 27 – August 7, 2022, extended hours will be required (at least a 14-hour shift daily). Interns cannot take time off during the Fair.
Apply by Friday, Jan. 7, 2022
- Send your résumé and your three best writing samples (such as press releases, newsletters, blog posts, magazine articles, etc.) to: Jessica West at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The deadline for receipt is Friday, Jan. 7, 2022. Interviews will be held in February/March.
Contact Jessica West
Email: email@example.com | Phone: 614.644.4012
What Former Interns are Saying
- “At my internship at the Ohio State Fair this summer, I’ve had the opportunity to try my hand at a plethora of different and relevant tasks. I enhanced my skills working on more traditional public relations projects such as writing press releases, pitching stories to media and editing copy, while also getting the chance to get my feet wet in areas I’ve never ventured into before. These new areas included working in media relations, partaking in scriptwriting and editing for the Ohio State Fair’s official podcast and planning promotional events leading up to the 12-day Fair. I had the chance to progress in my PR and marketing skills while working in a fun, encouraging and fast-paced environment with the best team imaginable!” – Rebecca, The Ohio State University (2019)
- “Working at the Ohio State Fair this summer has given me tons of “real world” experience. I’ve learned so much about working with media outlets to plan live broadcasts and organize ticket allocation, creating content that is distributed throughout the Fair and connecting the community to the Fair in an authentic, meaningful way. These experiences taught me so much about what it takes to successfully market and shape the public’s perception of a huge tradition in Ohio. The media relations, public relations and marketing skills I have learned here are things I will take with me for the rest of my career.” – Hannah, Ohio University (2019)
- “This internship was an amazing opportunity; I learned more than I could have ever imagined in just three months. I always tell people the best thing about this experience was that I feel like I got two internships in one. How many students get to know the ins and outs of media relations while also completing more traditional PR tasks along the way? Not to mention, the other interns quickly became my go-to people in and out of the office.” – Kaylee, The Ohio State University (2019)
- “Working for the Ohio State Fair has helped me grow in so many ways. This position is set-up to give individuals the experiences they need, while still helping to prepare everything it takes to host the Ohio State Fair. Working as a Marketing and Public Relations Coordinator for the Ohio State Fair is incomparable to any other internship opportunity you could find within the marketing and public relations industry. I’m so thankful for all the connections I’ve made and real-world experiences I walked with.” – Bailey, The Ohio State University (2019)