Apply by October 18, 2019
The Ohio State Fair is accepting resumes for an Arts Events Planner. The arts include Creative Arts, Fine Arts and Youth Arts. Creative Arts is the term used to describe different types of art, specifically, to introduce art ideas, techniques, skills and media.
The Ohio State Fair Arts Events Planner will serve as the project manager for the Ohio State Fair Arts programs. This includes, but is not limited to, working with area arts councils, organizations, guilds, jurors, judges and sponsors to plan and manage art exhibitions, competitions and activities during the Fair, hang/showcase arts, oversee a staff of 25-30 employees (Fair time only), and prepare year-end reports.
The 2019 Ohio State Fair arts programs and stats included the following:
- Visual arts (Youth Arts, Creative Arts, Fine Arts) – 6,300 entries (not all accepted; Youth Arts and Fine Arts are juried exhibitions)
- Approximately $60,000 in premium and in-kind awards offered through competitions
- Attendance – 83,000 fairgoers visited the Arts Centers
This position is a contracted part-time position. Planning/updating meetings take place throughout the year during work hours. Work will be completed both remotely and onsite at the Ohio State Fair. Hours will vary year-round and exceed full-time each July through mid-August with Fair hours of 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Qualifications – Proven experience in the following areas:
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, InDesign knowledge a plus. Various spreadsheets utilized; also includes the development of the competition Information Packets that go online.
- Management and collaboration skills – must be able to manage staff (Fair time only), activities, competitions, awards, jurors, judges, sponsors, guilds, demonstrators, entertainment, partners, etc. Must be comfortable maintaining existing relationships as well as establishing new relationships.
- Planning and project management skills – must be able to plan and manage details of events, programs, projects, exhibits and displays within the Arts divisions.
- Assertive and self-motivated – must be able to follow up and meet deadlines. While this position will work under the guidance of and meet periodically with the Special Events Department director, this person will work from home.
- While familiarity with the arts in general is essential, the majority of time will focus on the Creative Arts activities, competitions, demonstrations, (i.e. baking, culinary, fashion, handcrafted and needle arts, etc.).
- Attention to detail – there is a great deal of behind the scenes detail and prep work that goes into creating the quality arts programs.
- Creativity – maintaining the traditional arts, adding new arts and ideas, creative ways to display the arts.
- Ability to work well with people.
How to apply – Please forward resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 18, 2019 with the subject line of “Arts Director Resume – first and last name”. We encourage also providing the following:
- Spreadsheet examples
- Writing materials
- Marketing materials
- Art organizations you may be associated with
- Art databases you may have access to (with number of contacts)
The Ohio Expositions Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Service Provider.