Ohio State Fair Marketing & Media Center Coordinator (Internship)
Paid, real-world experience
Deadline to apply: Monday, February 5, 2018
- Current college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors are accepted. Ideal majors include marketing, public relations, communications or journalism.
- Candidates should be organized, self-motivated and reliable.
- Ideal team members will be personable and able to work well both independently and as a part of a group.
- Candidates should respect deadlines, be detail-oriented, conscientious and know how to follow through.
- Students should be calm under pressure and able to interface directly with members of the media, such as reporters and photographers/videographers.
- Experience using software such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Superb grammar and writing skills are desired.
The Marketing and Media Center Coordinator will report to the marketing and public relations director at the Ohio State Fair, spending their time as a part of a talented team of interns (including public relations and social media interns).
- In the months leading up to the Ohio State Fair, assist with marketing and public relations tasks including but not limited to:
- Coordinate the Fair’s community program, which distributes complimentary tickets to organizations serving those in need
- Assist with marketing efforts, such as reviewing analytics reports to improve ad performance and optimize website content
- Assist with public relations efforts, such as writing and editing
- Assist with marketing initiatives and ad trafficking for multiple media types
- Assist with media reconciliation and billing
- Populate the Fair’s website using the WordPress backend content management system
- Complete administrative and clerical tasks as needed such as maintaining databases for ticket distribution, communicating with partner organizations, developing a list of photography needs for the Fair’s photographer, etc.
- During the Ohio State Fair, manage the Media Center at which all members of the media covering the Fair are required to check in daily. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Enter and manage a database of all media covering the Fair
- Log and manage media credentials and admission passes
- Politely greet and check in media covering the Fair and connect them with a public relations intern to assist with their coverage
- Answer phone calls and emails
- Assist with social media management, such as responding to direct message questions received via Facebook
When you’ll work
- Hours: Monday – Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm in May, June and July. You will be required to work shifts on Saturdays, July 14 and 21, 2018.
- Start date: TBD based on school schedules; no earlier than May 7. The entire internship cannot exceed 14 weeks.
- Extended hours during the Fair: During the 12 days of the Fair, July 25 – August 5, 2018, extended hours will be required (at least a 12-hour shift each day.) Interns cannot take time off during the Fair.
Does your college or university offer course credit for internships? Your supervisor can complete any necessary paperwork to ensure that you get the credit you deserve.
How to apply
To be considered, please send your résumé to Alicia Shoults, Ohio Expo Center, 717 E. 17th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43211 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receipt is Monday, February 5, 2018. Interviews will be held shortly thereafter.