For anyone following a gluten-free diet, there are plenty of options you can still enjoy when you visit the Ohio State Fair. Don’t forget to ask individual vendors about the risk of cross contamination or gluten exposure for kitchens that may serve items that do contain gluten. Fairgoers with gluten sensitivities and intolerances should use judgment in consuming Fair foods.
- Corn and corn products – Roasted sweet corn and other products made with corn (Such as tacos, nachos and taco salad) can be safe bets when avoiding gluten.
- Dole Pineapple Whip – This favorite treat has the smooth taste of soft serve ice cream with no dairy and no gluten.
- Dippin’ Dots – Dippin’ Dots ice cream is gluten-free, but some of the add-ins do contain gluten. All of their products are made in a facility that also contains milk, eggs, tree nuts, wheat, soy and peanut products, so be aware of cross contamination and avoid flavors with add-ins.
- French Fries – French fries are usually gluten-free, so if you’re looking for a yummy fried option at the Fair, this is a great bite to try! However, make sure you ask vendors about cross contamination. If French fries share a fryer with gluten containing foods, those with serious gluten intolerances or celiac disease should avoid this option.
- Frozen Drinks – Most syrups for slushies, sno cones, and Kona Ice are gluten-free.
- Ice cream – Ice cream is a great option for those with gluten intolerances. Many vendors at the Fair serve delicious flavors that can help you cool down in the hot Ohio sun. Make sure to ask vendors about cross contamination and avoid flavors like cookie dough.
- Iced Tea – Ohio summers are warm, so cool off with this gluten-free beverage.
- Meat – Whether you love special-recipe steak on a stick, chicken, mouthwatering ribs (including those sauced up by JP’s Barbeque and Famous Gabby’s Inc.), slow-cooked pulled pork, turkey legs, sausage or moist tenderloin, meat options are usually safe bet for those avoiding gluten.
- Pizza – Select pizza vendors, like T&E Concessions, can make gluten-free crusts upon request (bonus: they also use as much organic produce as possible, making it easy to top your pizza with fresh ingredients)
Either by choice or requirement, there are many dietary restrictions: gluten-free, low calorie, keto, etc., and our vendors have diet-friendly options available for you. Search our food options at the ohiostatefair.com/food to find options that work for your diet either before you visit or while you’re at the Fair.