Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 25 – 30 minutes
Yield: 1, 2-layer 8″ cake
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. chopped toasted pecans divided
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup brown butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- Remaining brown butter,(approximately ½ cup), room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. dark or light brown sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Brown the 1 ½ cups butter by placing it in a light colored saucepan. Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly. As the butter simmers, a white layer of foam will develop on top.
- After 10 minutes you will see brown bits develop under the foam and it should smell nutty. Remove from the heat quickly as the butter can burn easily. Distribute the brown bits evenly by stirring, as you pour ¾ cup of the butter into a glass measuring cup for the cake. Pour the remaining butter (approximately ½ cup) into a separate container. This will be for the frosting.
- Chill butter until solid again. Let come to room temperature before baking cake.
- Toast pecans about 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven, stirring every few minutes.
- Let cool.
- To make cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and line two 8” round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream ¾ cup brown butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each one, mix in vanilla.
- Beat in approximately 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by ½ of the milk, repeat additions ending with flour.
- Fold in 1 cup of the toasted pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pans dividing evenly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cakes comes out clean.
- Cream remaining brown butter and cream cheese well.
- Beat in vanilla, milk and salt.
- With mixer on low slowly add powdered sugar. Add a bit more sugar or milk if frosting is too thin or too thick.
- Add all ingredients except for vanilla in a saucepan. Cook over low heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and cool slightly.
- When cakes are cooled, place one layer of the cake on a serving plate and frost. Top with the second layer and frost the top and sides.
- Drizzle toffee sauce around top of cake allowing it to drizzle down the sides. (rewarm sauce slightly it too thick).
- Sprinkle top of cake with remaining pecans.