The baking competitions at the Ohio State Fair are some of the most popular among the Creative Arts competitions. The 2014 Ohio State Fair saw many entries into the Cookies and Pastries division, with entrant’s origins ranging from locally in Columbus to the Cincinnati area.
Each year, more than 55,000 visitors view the Creative Arts competitions entries on display for the duration of the Fair. If you think you’ve got what it takes to win one of the many Culinary and Baking competitions, enter your recipe today! The deadline for entries is June 20, and forms can be completed online here in just minutes. Don’t miss out on having a chance at winning part of the $11,415 in awards being offered!
Bernadette Harvey from Powell crushed all the other competitors in the Cookies and Pastries division by coming in first place with her recipe for Raspberry Pecan Bars. If this delicious treat sounds like your kind of dessert, give this award-winning recipe a try!
Raspberry Pecan Bars
(yields 32 bars)
List of ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 cup salted butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 large egg
1 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat together flour, sugar, pecans, butter and egg until crumbly.
- Reserve ½ cups of the mixture and set aside
- Press the remaining mixture into the greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Spread the raspberry jam on top of mixture to about ¼ inch from the edge of the pan.
- Top with reserved crumb mixture, dropping it evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until light brown and bubbly.
- Place pan on wire rack to cool completely, then cut into bars.