July is National Pickle Month and we are celebrating with a blue-ribbon recipe for homemade dill pickles from the 2015 Ohio State Fair!
Homemade Dill Pickles
Recipe by Carol Palantekin, Dublin, Ohio
First place, Pickles and Relishes (Pickles), 2015
Yield: 7 pint jars
- 10 pounds pickling cucumbers
- 3 1/3 white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 7 1/3 cups water
- 1 package (6.5 ounce) Mrs. Wages® Quick Process Dill Pickle Mix
- Fresh Dill
- 10-20 garlic cloves
- Wash jars in hot soapy water, rinse well. Sterilize for 10 minutes in boiling water and hold in hot water.
- Wash and drain pickling cucumbers cut 1/16-inch from blossom end.
- Pack into 10 sterilized, hot pint jars, along with fresh dill and 1-2 garlic cloves in each jar (I had to cut cucumbers into spears to fit in required pint jars).
- Combine Dill Pickle Mix, vinegar and water in a large non-reactive pot.
- Bring mixture just to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture dissolves.
- Evenly divide hot pickling liquid among the packed jars, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace
- Remove air bubbles and cap each jar as it is filled. Remove air bubbles and wipe rims. Adjust lids and process using boiling bath water method for 10 minutes