Recipe by Beth McCarty, Cincinnati, Ohio
First Place 3101 Pie Division Class No. 3, 2016 | Baking Temperature: 425 / 350 degrees | Baking Time: 20 / 45 minutes | Yield: 8
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 ½ cups raspberries
- 1 ½ cups blackberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons tapioca starch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Egg wash (one egg, whisked)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ stick butter
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup ice cold water
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Prepare double crust pie dough
- Combine the blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries together. Add lemon juice and combine.
- Combine the sugar, tapioca starch, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredient over the berries
- Place the berry mixture into the bottom pie dough
- Dot with butter
- Cover with top pie dough with a lattice weave.
- Using a pastry brush cover the top with the egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 45 minutes or until brown and bubbling
- Cool before slicing