The Ohio State Fair Junior Fair Board is made up of our great state’s best and brightest young leaders, hand-picked to contribute to the success of the Ohio State Fair each year. Selected to represent their respective youth organizations, these students serve on behalf of thousands of students across Ohio. As ambassadors for 4-H, FFA, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Farm Bureau, FCCLA, Grange, Tech Ed and Camp Fire, they are able to share their experiences and emphasize the value of the Junior Fair with patrons throughout the 12 days of the Fair.
For these dedicated Junior Fair Board members, the passion for the Fair is in their blood. They have risen through the ranks over the years, spending their childhood summers caring for livestock animals, exhibiting their projects at both the county and state level, attending group meetings, assuming leadership roles, taking part in summer camps and growing, all while these organizations have shaped their lives.
These students, ages 16-20, come together for two weeks of hard work, building enduring friendships and professional relationships along the way. Their personalities and experiences provide a youthful and fun perspective as they fill the roles of welcoming officials at livestock shows, Smokey Bear’s courteous assistants, friendly faces working at the Monster Mural and enthusiastic companions of our Fair’s mascot, Butters D. Cow.
Tours offered for 2016 Ohio State Fair
Are you a part of an organization and looking to see what the Ohio State Fair Junior Fair Board does? Come take a Junior Fair Board member-led tour and see what daily duties we have and other highlights of the fair. Tours will be offered once a day from 1 – 3 pm for 3-20 members of your organization. If you have any questions or concerns, email us at OSFJFB@gmail.com.
Junior Fair Board responsibilities include:
- Welcoming guests and thanking sponsors at the beginning of livestock shows, performances, and other exhibits
- Facilitating the “Monster Mural” and “Jumbo Tic-Tac-Toe” free family activities
- Working at the Smokey Bear exhibit in Natural Resources Park
- Volunteering at the Ohio Department of Agriculture’s “Ag is Cool” booth
- Helping with line-up and announcing at the parade
- Ushering concerts each nights
- Being the best representative of your organization you can be!
How are Junior Fair Board members selected?
Youth organizations who participate in the Ohio State Fair each select representatives from their organizations to serve on the Junior Fair Board using their own selection criteria or applications, so please apply directly to your organization. Organizations are encouraged to select members who are:
- Between 16 and 20 years old
- Highly involved members of their organizations based on their accomplishments (i.e. competition at the state and/or national level in their organization, leadership experiences, community service experiences, etc.)
- Candidates who truly want to serve in this role
- Very responsible youth who are respectful to their organization’s advisors