We kick off the160th Ohio State Fair today, July 24!
With plenty of new rides, food and free entertainment, the opening day of the Ohio State Fair has a lot to offer this year’s visitors. Fortunately, most of these exciting Fair events and activities are reoccurring and can be enjoyed throughout the duration of the Fair. The following events are unique to opening day:
- Opening Ceremony: Join Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Ohio Expo Center and State Fair General Manager Virgil Strickler as they kick off the first day of the Fair. The opening ceremony will take place at the Cardinal Gate at 9 am. There, visitors can enjoy music by the Ohio State Fair Band & Youth Choir and enjoy entertainment from Those Funny Little People, a performing group from “America’s Got Talent.” James Johnson will also appear at the ceremony to show off his amazing balloon art.
- Brillo Pad and Duck Tape Art: Judging for Brillo Pad floats and art, as well as Duck Tape floats and art will be at 2 pm in the DiSalle Creative Arts Center.
- Horticulture Judging: Judging for container grown plants, specimen flowers and foliage competitions will take place at 1:15 pm in the Nationwide Donahey Ag & Hort Building presented by Ohio Farm Bureau.
- Jeff Dunham: Named “the most popular comedian in the United States” by Timemagazine, Jeff Dunham has achieved critical acclaim for his ventriloquist acts. Dunham’s television series has gained the highest ratings in Comedy Central history. Fairgoers will not want to miss his hilarious live show at 7 pm at the WCOL Celeste Center. Tickets can be purchased at the box office for $38 and include Fair admission when purchased in advance.
- Jr. Horse Show: The Jr. Horse Show Judging contest will take place at noon in the JD Equipment Taft Coliseum. Following this, the Jr. Horse Show reining will take place at 2 pm, the parade of counties will take place at 4 pm and the 4-H championship classes show will be at 5 pm. The Jr. Horse Showmanship competition for hunter horses will take place at 2 pm in Cooper Arena for ages 9 – 14. Ages 15 – 18 will also compete at 2 pm, but in Denny Hales Arena.
- Operative Plasterers’ & Cement Masons’ Unions Great Lakes Apprentice Competition: Eighteen cement masons and six plasterers will compete during this exciting competition that will measure their engineering skills. The event will be held on the DiSalle Creative Arts Center patio 9 am – 5 pm. The event will continue on July 25.
- WBNS10TV Opening Day: Fairgoers can take advantage of special general admission discounts as part of WBNS10TV Opening Day. All Fair visitors will receive $3 admission when they arrive before 3 pm.