Recipe by Terri McCarty, Cincinnati, Hamilton
First place, 3303, Class No. 1, 2016 | Baking Temperature: Boiling water bath | Baking Time: 20 minutes | Yield of recipe: 8 pints
- •18 to 20 cucumbers, 3-4 inches long
- •8 heads fresh dill seed
- •2 tsp dried dill weed
- •4 tsp mustard seed
- •1 generous tsp Ball brand Pickle Crisp
- •2 cups white vinegar
- •4 cups water
- •2 tbsp pickling salt
- •Scrub cucumbers and cut into spears. Pack into 8 hot pint jars.
- •To each pint, add one head of dill seed, 1/4 dried dill weed, 1/2 tsp mustard seed, and 1/8 rounded tsp of Ball Pickle Crisp over the top of the cucumber spears.
- •Prepare the brine by combining vinegar, water, and pickling salt; bring to a boil.
- •Ladle hot brine over cucumbers and spices, filling jars to within half-inch of top. Adjust two-piece lids.
- •Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes (begin timing as soon as jars are placed in water).