Baking temperature: 375º F
Baking time: 30 – 35 minutes
Yield: 1 cake
- 1 ¾ cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 ½ cups egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp. cream of tarter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees, have a 10” ungreased angel food tube pan ready.
- Sift 1 cup brown sugar and the flour together 2-3 time; set aside.
- In a 5 quart mixing bowl or larger, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy.Add cream of tartar and salt and continue to beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Gradually add the remaining brown sugar 1-2 tbsp. at a time.
- Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- By hand gradually fold the flour mixture into the whites about ½ cup at a time.
- Fold in pecans with the last of the four mix only until flout is incorporated.
- Gently spoon into cake pan.
- Cut through the batter a few times with a thin knife to eliminate large air pockets.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until entire top appears dry and springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert pan allow to cool completely (if the pan does not have feet suspend pan on neck of a bottle).
- When cooled loosen sides of cake with a thin knife to remove.