The 160th Ohio State Fair shattered the 12-day attendance record with an estimated 903,824 visitors entering the gates between July 24 and August 4. The 2013 State Fair turnout is an increase of 8 percent over the previous record of 850,218 set in 2004 when the Fair modified its length of operation to 12 days.
“The Fair is safe, clean, and has a comforting, family-friendly atmosphere,” said General Manager Virgil Strickler. “We are constantly making improvements and working to beautify our facility. The new Cardinal Corridor inspired by Gov. Kasich is one of those wonderful enhancements, allowing guests to enjoy an additional shaded area with seating to rest.”
The green space isn’t the only initiative by Gov. Kasich that has helped to boost attendance. The Ag is Cool program, created in 2011, provides free admission to exiting fourth grade students and their teachers. This program has not only helped to educate Ohio’s youth about the state’s largest industry – agriculture – but has exposed more Ohioans to the Fair and its offerings.
In addition to its record-setting attendance, the 2013 Fair achieved increases in many other areas:
- Youth participation for both livestock and non-livestock products increased by 10 percent over 2012;
- The Sale of Champions, held August 4, broke numerous records, with more than $334,000 raised – a 1.5 percent increase over 2012;
- Funds for the Youth Reserve Program raised $267,400 – a more than 7 percent increase over the previous record set in 2012;
- Individual sale records were broken for the reserve grand champion market barrow, reserve grand champion market lamb, grand champion meat chickens, reserve grand champion meat chickens, grand champion market goat, grand champion market turkey and grand champion Swiss cheese;
- Spending on Midway rides increased 17 percent over 2012; and,
- Spending on food and beverages increased 10 percent over 2012.
For more information, call 1-888-OHO-EXPO or 1-614-644-FAIR. On the Web, visit us at ohiostatefair.com.
The Ohio Expo Center is proud to host the Ohio State Fair. With a spectacular midway, big-name entertainment, hundreds of exhibits and one of the largest junior fair shows in the nation, the 2013 Ohio State Fair will run July 24 – August 4.
The Ohio Expo Center is an equal opportunity employer and service provider.