If you’ve watched “The LEGO Movie,” you know that LEGOs can be serious inspiration for art and creativity. What was once a children’s toy is now an art phenomena. LEGO lovers everywhere are putting the pieces together (instead of leaving them on the floor for mom to step on) to create massive towns, animals, vehicles and more! LEGO art is the perfect inspiration for the 2017 Ohio State Fair Youth Arts competitions.
1. This LEGO sculpture was created by Nathan Sawaya who quit his legal career to pursue LEGO sculptures, and he totally rocked it. Talk about patience.
2. The 20-foot LEGO giraffe is located in front of the Sony Center in Berlin and is a MUST-SEE when visiting!
3. What’s more impressive than LEGO Batman? The fact that 13-year-old Evan Bacon used around 15,000 pieces to create a LEGO Batman sculpture of his own.
4. With this LEGO creation, you could bring home some serious $ for winning in the Youth Arts Competition.
5. Everyone loves a familiar face – Buzz and Woody are certainly character favorites. The iconic duo was put on display at San Diego’s Comic-Con.
6. I think the judges would be at peace with this art display.
7. This Disney favorite is displayed at a LEGO store!
8. Legoland Florida offers the unique experience to see landmarks from across the country in one space, in LEGO form of course! Miniland features cities from California to New York.
9. Speaking of site seeing, Legoland California has a Mount Rushmore LEGO sculpture! Despite the size difference, it’s pretty realistic.
10. And of course, we cannot forget the set of the famous LEGO Movie, recreated at Legoland in California.
The 2017 Ohio State Fair is calling all creative youth to enter in the Youth Arts Competitions. If LEGOs aren’t your thing, don’t worry! The competition also accepts, but not limited to: abstract, acrylic, ceramics, charcoal, collage, mixed media, oil painting, original cartoon, painting, pastels, pen/ink, pencil, photography and sculpture.
Grades 1-12 can compete for up to $3240 in awards. Sign up today, as the June 20 deadline is fast approaching! For more information or to enter your artwork click here!